Friday, November 12, 2010

All Wet...

I'm all wet -- And it's not just because of the three weeks of never-ending spitting/drizzles/showers/storms.

I'm all wet because I'm starting to feel the negative effects of living in a rural area like Akita. Loneliness. In all honesty, I think we can agree that I am different. In some cases this might even be a admirable attribute. Unfortunately, this is not one of those cases. I keep awakening to this rather depressing realization that people such as me need to be in big cities where the likelihood of encountering similar individuals is much higher. Akita is no such place. In fact, this city gives "carbon copy" a whole new meaning. There is little diversity within this city, even by Japanese standards. You are either a farmer, small time merchant, one of many high school drop outs, a drunk, or pregnant. This is not an intellectual center to say the least. In other words, I cannot find anyone I can really relate to. So far, all most people do is leave me mildly perturbed.

With all this in mind, I find myself becoming more and more lonely. With little means of entertainment outside of bars, pubs, lounges, izakayas, and clubs, I am at a loss for meeting new and interesting people who are capable of having a conversation without falling over or slurring their words.

I wish I was back in Sendai or Tokyo. Country-life just isn't for me.

In other news....Still disliking my job. It's not the kids that are the problem. Most of them are great and I love them. It's the company and a certain other teacher who makes me want jump off a bridge every time she speaks. I'd push her off, but I don't want to end up in a Japanese prison.

There are two bright sides to this small little rant, the colors of fall:


PRETTY TREES!


NEW SUIT!







1 comment:

  1. so, as always your present day biography is a really good read keep it up! As for your feelings about where you are and what is available to you as a result it seems to me like you know how to think straight about things if you but still need to figure out some specifics but the steady head on shoulders is the vibe i'm getting, liking the suit was thinking of getting a couple in the very near future

    ReplyDelete